Friday, September 5, 2014

Debuting Elle Broox Warren

WARNING BLOG POST IS LONG and FULL OF GRAPHIC OVER-SHARES ... that probably only Elle's mom and dad appreciate!


Last Tuesday when my doctor told me, he didn't think I would make it to my due date (9/12), I told him I would have to wait a little longer I wasn't ready for sweet Elle's arrival ... the chair for her nursery hasn't come in yet! Her nursery and playroom suite (our sunroom) needed to be completed and perfect for her arrival. As if I had any control over the matter because a day later I was informed that the chair fabric was on backorder until October, and I had to come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be cooking this little nugget until October.
Three hours later I was on the phone with my best girl friend chit-chatting about life and the lack of a chair when my sweet child decided she was ready to make her debut by breaking my water. I consulted my best girl friend on my semi spill and she said that I would know if my water had broke so I chalked it up to some pregnancy weirdness. About five minutes later I felt the most excruciating pain and of course assumed I was experiencing the worst gas pains of my life. Note: Throughout the last 9 months, I have blamed every movement or feeling that I can't identify on gas.
During the happy times of my 15 minute epidural experience
An hour later my live-in nurse aka baby daddy knew better and rushed me to the hospital with the car flashers on ... after he took a shower. I asked if I could take one and he said no ... talk about double standards. The hospital nurse immediately ruled out gas and declared that I was in labor and at a 6 (for those of you who thrive on too much information). By the time my CRNA came in with the good stuff I was at a 7. Since we knew him, I felt like the most responsible and practical thing to do would be to let him off the hook by telling him it would be ok if he wet-tapped me (an occurrence that happens during epidurals that causes severe migraines). I didn't want him to feel nervous and or lose sleep at night if he gave me a horrible headache.
My favorite photo
Unbeknownst to me, the next 15 minutes were a little scary. I went from a 7 to a 9 and little Elle's heart rate dropped rapidly. They were consulting an emergency C-section. They turned my pain meds off and gave me something to slow the contractions. Emergency C diverted.
For the next three hours I was in full blown labor without any meds. I now knew what excruciating really felt like ... and great news it's not gas pains! If I heard the nurse say one more time I think the next time will be it, I would have slapped her. I cried and cursed ... only a little ... mostly I was in too much pain to waste any energy on nonsense. Note: I now resent every childless woman who says she doesn't want any meds because she is tough enough to handle it ... she probably isn't and just wants to sound like a badass. Finally the doctor said that she wasn't going to fit and I cringed. What was I going to do with a 10 pound baby. Part of my laughed at the irony; I always joked with my girlfriends that I was too skinny to deliver a child naturally ... let's face it I'm not, I just didn't want to have to do all of the childbirth work and I wanted a baby with a pretty head.
Note: this is not laughing gas

Even my kiss made her cry
At 1:57 I apologized to the CRNA for making him come back to the hospital to give me more meds. I was semi excited because this was my first time to be in an OR and be able to see (most surgeries make you take your contacts out). I also thought it would be cool to be awake during surgery so I could know what everyone talks about. We talked about football and some other stuff ... I really can't remember, I was shivering too bad to concentrate. I told my doctor that it was ok if my incision was jig-jagged because I couldn't keep still for him. Seventeen minutes later I heard a precious little cry. As they whisked her away and kept working on me, I became momentarily excited because I heard this suction noise and I thought they were giving me complimentary lipo ... I asked, they weren't.
A little while later they brought in a 6 lb 3 oz baby girl that immediately cried when I greeted her, and I told her it was ok most babies cry around me.
He slept with her clothes
every night
After a week of life, she has grown to love me. Our first night at home was miserable, but by the second night she realized that we like to sleep at night and she only woke up for her feedings. She is a fast learner. She is utterly delightful, and I couldn't be luckier.

Magnus is a phenomenal big brother. He has been guarding her clothes with his life. The day we brought her home, he picked up a stuffed animal that had been laying on the ottoman for a week and carried it to her to let her know that it was her toy not his ... I am NOT lying. I breed genius babies and dogs.

1 comment:

Most Viewed Post