Tuesday, October 23, 2012

You Oughta Know That Nothing Compares 2 U!



Watch out, I'm having a moment and it smells like teen spirit. I've been waiting for this announcement for twelve long gruesome years. It's official the 90s are back and trending! Joan paid tribute to 1992 on the cusp of Glamour magazine's announcement of the official comeback. I couldn't be happier. Welcome back! My outdated itune's playlist and I have missed you. Note: we are not welcoming back the waif model, grunge attire, or filth. Your hair must be clean at all times!

Wait one moment I just need to slap on my bracelet, pull my hair up in my scrunchie, strap on my neon color block fanny pack, and whip out my discman before I can continue. What? What do you mean you put my neon orange slap bracelet and and all my scrunchies in a garage sale years ago? Even the fanny pack? I thought that was so practical. I swore you said this was a wardrobe staple. Good you still have the discman because you're right, you never know when the ipod will break. Thanks Mom! Also before I can continue I have to make a few apologies. I'm sorry I let you down Six, I tried my hardest to talk as fast as you, but my Southern drawl just wouldn't let me succeed. I'm sorry Andrew Keegan I broke my promise, I married somebody else. But to be fair, you grew a mustache. However, I will still serenade you with my music video to Wannabe. I've been campaigning for approximately 26 years Mary-Kate and Ashley, when are you going to finally let me be the official fan club president?

While I love all things 90s, I inwardly and outwardly cringe every time I look at a photo of my 90s wardrobe. Yes, I owned purple and green plaid overalls, a blue jean sunflower blossom hat, a bolo (I don't know... cowboy attire was never cool), puffy sleeves and shoulder pads were must haves (my bangs needed to be as puffy as my sleeves), and my homemade royal blue, pepto pink, and burnt orange jumper took color blocking to a whole level. Thanks Grandma. My fashion flashback is horrendous, so if we are welcoming back the 90s, we must make some minor but significant adjustments!
 
Although I'll always think of a pudgy Al from Home Improvement when I see plaid, it's back and we can do it tastefully. Ditch the under shirt and accessorize! MK models a modern flair to 90s plaid. I have a blue and grey plaid shirt that I kept in my closet in case I ever needed to dress up like a cowgirl, and now I can wear it in real life. No, sadly I didn't save my bolo. 

Even though my sunflower denim hat is still consider unacceptable, the fedora isn't and you don't have to be artsy to rock one!

Despite my mom's persistence about denim, it hasn't been cool for about a decade. However, it has finally made a legit comeback. Normally I'd be ashamed to admit that I wore denim on denim, but I did and I looked chic! As long as your denims aren't the same shade, it's a do! Throw in a funky color statement necklace and you'll be trending too!

I'll always be a puffy sleeve and shoulder pad lover. Somehow the puff makes me feel a bit taller. I did, however, ditch the bangs for a forehead, and it has made all the difference!

Even though I feel like a present day Kris Jenner wannabe, I still rock the heck out of a blazer. It's the new cardigan. Color Blocking is back! If only Grandma could sew normal looking outfits.

 

Lastly, the key to looking chic in the new 90s is a good tailor. We might be bringing back the color palets, but we aren't bringing back oversize clothing. Drop the jncos! If you must sport an oversized sweater put your tightest leggings on. If you don't, you'll look sloppy and fat, and no on wants that! Kristin Davis has a banging body under that oversized plaid coat, and we can't even tell!

Since, my whole house can't be decorated in bright neon colors (my husband's rule ... definitely not mine) then my closet will be! Go neon, not neutral this fall! Welcome Back 90s; you've been missed!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Post